Storm Stoppers are the first and only temporary hurricane window protection product that installs without penetrating anchors such as screws and bolts. Storm Stoppers is the only window protection product at a low price point which can be removed from the inside in an emergency without a key, tools or special knowledge. Storm Stoppers are an easy Do It Yourself (DIY) project that you can cut with just a carpet knife and a straight edge—no power tools needed!
Storm Stoppers are a great alternative to heavy plywood panels for temporary protection during storms, hurricanes & typhoons. To request a DIY Quote for your home or business, please click here: REQUEST A QUOTE. If you would like to receive an Original 3/8” Storm Stoppers sample, please click here: REQUEST SAMPLE.
Original 3/8” Translucent Storm Stoppers® The Plywood Alternative® Benefits Include:
- Storm Stoppers are lightweight and re-install fast before a storm or hurricane, in less than a minute per window
- Storm Stoppers are translucent and allow lots of light in
- Storm Stoppers fasten directly to window and door frames with 3M® Dual Lock® Reclosable Fasteners. No screws or bolts are used, so there will be no holes in your home’s siding or exterior.
- Storm Stoppers have protected thousands of openings in 6 major hurricanes since 2005 including Hurricane Wilma, Hurricane Gustav, Hurricane Ike, Hurricane Irene, Hurricane Isaac & Hurricane Sandy (Click Here to read these Florida, Louisiana, Texas & South Carolina Customer Testimonials)
- Original 3/8” Translucent Storm Stoppers have been Large Missile 2′ x 4’ tested for Wind Zones 1 & 2 (winds <130 mph) at greater than one mile from the coastline measured from the mean high water mark. Testing was done at an ICC-IAS Accredited Testing Lab in 2005 (Original 3/8” Storm Stoppers)
- Storm Stoppers have been Building Code Approved for many years within the following hurricane-affected states: Georgia, South Carolina, Hawaii & Louisiana. Certain Building Code Officials in these states have said that they like the facts that Storm Stoppers put no holes in the home’s siding, install quickly, let in lots of light & can be easily removed from the inside in an emergency.
- Storm Stoppers allow safe egress from every protected opening. Certain Building Code Officials in other states have told us that Storm Stoppers appear to meet Section R310.1 of the International Residential Code, “Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings” Requirement, as well as Section R310.1.4 of the International Residential Code “Operational Constraints.” This section states “Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.”
- Storm Stoppers are the first and only temporary hurricane window protection product that can be removed from the inside in the event of an emergency, without a key, tools or special knowledge! To remove Storm Stoppers from the inside, homeowners would open the window and push hard against the Storm Stoppers panel!
To learn more about Original 3/8” Storm Stoppers, please click on the Product Information Drop Down button above. You can also watch the demonstration video on Storm Stoppers & CAPS below.
To request a DIY Quote for your home or business, please click here: REQUEST A QUOTE. If you have any further questions, please call the Storm Stoppers Main Office in Orlando, Florida at 407- 423-5959 or Toll Free at 877- 575-7788. You can also send us an email.
Storm Stoppers are in stock for immediate shipment. The average receipt time, from date of order to delivery is 7 calendar days (in most Eastern states).
Existing customers, make sure you check out the Tune Up Service page for information about keeping your Storm Stoppers functioning properly: Tune Up Service
Thank you for your interest in Storm Stoppers® The Plywood Alternative®.
Florida homeowners should be aware that:
- Original 3/8” Storm Stoppers have not been cycle pressure tested in a testing lab. The Cyclic Pressure Differential Test is meant for shutter products be bolted on to pass. However, bolting products and plywood over windows does not allow for egress/escape in an emergency. Bolting protection products on sleeping room window exits, without a safety release on the inside, also violates Section R310.1 of the International Residential Code, “Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings” Requirement”. Bolting products and plywood over windows and doors has been cited as causing the deaths of approximately a dozen Florida homeowners since 1998.
- Although Original 3/8” Translucent Storm Stoppers have been Large Missile 2′ x 4’ Lab Tested for Wind Zones 1 & 2 (winds <130 mph), Storm Stoppers use of the easy-to-install 3M® Dual Lock® Reclosable adhesive-backed Fasteners is not currently recognized by the Florida Building Commission. Storm Stoppers may not be recognized by the Florida Building Commission since the 3M® Dual Lock® Reclosable Fasteners do not penetrate into the structure., per Section 1609.1.2 (c) of the Florida Building Code and since Original 3/8” Storm Stoppers have not gone through the Cyclic Pressure Lab Testing. Therefore, Original 3/8” Storm Stoppers are not Florida Building Code Approved. Click here for The Product Approval System (Section 553.842, F.S.) and read the 3rd paragraph to learn about the State of Florida’s Optional Product Approval System.
- Florida homeowners should be aware that since Storm Stoppers are not installed with permanent anchors that penetrate at least 2” into the structure, Storm Stoppers are not able to be Florida Building Code approved. According to Florida Statutes 553.842 subsection 5, which was enacted in Florida on July 1, 2011, “A product may not be advertised, sold, offered, provided, distributed, or marketed as hurricane, windstorm, or impact protection from wind-borne debris from a hurricane or windstorm unless it is Florida Building Code-approved.”
If you are a homeowner in Florida and are looking for a product for hurricane, windstorm or impact protection from wind-borne debris, you are required to buy Florida Building Code approved hurricane shutters that are installed with permanent, penetrating anchors that are installed 2 inches into your home’s structure.